Tuesday, March 5, 2013

31 in 31: Week 1

This week I finished Chains, by Laurie Halse Anderson, one of my favorite authors growing up. My favorite book growing up of hers was Catalyst. I read it over and over. This book was a national book award finalist and a Scott O'Dell Award for Historical Fiction winner. It is considered a young adult book, but I enjoyed it so. It is a part of Anderson's Seeds of America Trilogy. I cannot wait to read book two, Forge. I also have her book, Fever 1793, on my reading list.

Here is the description of the book from
http://madwomanintheforest.com/historical-chains/

As the Revolutionary War begins, thirteen-year-old Isabel wages her own fight… for freedom. Promised freedom upon the death of their owner, she and her sister, Ruth, in a cruel twist of fate become the property of a malicious New York City couple, the Locktons, who have no sympathy for the American Revolution and even less for Ruth and Isabel. When Isabel meets Curzon, a slave with ties to the Patriots, he encourages her to spy on her owners, who know details of British plans for invasion. She is reluctant at first, but when the unthinkable happens to Ruth, Isabel realizes her loyalty is available to the bidder who can provide her with freedom. From acclaimed author Laurie Halse Anderson comes this compelling, impeccably researched novel that shows the lengths we can go to cast off chains, both physical and spiritual.

I also read book two: Reptile Room of the Unfortunate Events Series by Lemony Snicket. His books are different for young readers, but I love them! I am starting book three today with some of my kiddos!


No comments:

Post a Comment